2009 is already almost 2 weeks old and i still haven't looked back at 2008, I'm probably the last person on the net to do so, which is a feat in itself.
Linux & OSS headlines for 2008 for me include:
- Python 3.0 gets released. the good just keeps getting better.
- The first Android phone ships, it uses the Linux kernel. Not long after that the iPhone gets hacked and is able to boot Linux too. Seems like Linux own the portable-communication-device world.
- The whole Ubuntu/Firefox-EULA discussion
The best games of last year are:
- Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, although it was already available in '07, i only got around playing it in 2008. And everybody loved it, a lot. It is a great game to play with the family. Other great games include 'Lost Winds', 'Zack & Wiki' and 'de Blob'. Although, none have the attraction (to the rest of the family) as Mario has.
- DS: Final Fantasy IV, it is wonderful, goes of to a slow start and it doesn't seem to be as good as FF3, but it picks up pace very fast and doesn't let go.
TV brought some nice things in 08:
- Dexter is the best series,
- but Top Gear is now available on national TV and rates as the best show for me. No Heroes this year, the series was cut short by the Hollywood writers strike.
The price for best Linux distro in 2008 goes to:
- Ubuntu, but just. There are so many new (and older) good distros rising (some even based on Ubuntu) maybe next year the desktop king will be dethroned.